Arbor Biosciences is a fast-growing organization focused on delivering cost-effective research tools to the molecular and synthetic biology research communities. We pride ourselves on operating in a collaborative manner with our clients to deliver novel and custom solutions for their unique applications. We are a rapidly growing organization with excellent opportunities for career development.
We are seeking an outgoing and experienced individual to lead our myReads®in-house next-generation sequencing (NGS) services team. The ideal candidate will have experience with NGS experimental design and bioinformatic analysis in an academic or industry setting (including short- & long-read sequencing), and will be enthusiastic about helping our clients design custom targeted sequencing solutions. This individual will work with customers, as well as our internal scientific team, to provide experimental and project design guidance for NGS service offerings: library preparation, target capture, and sequencing.
In this position, the candidate will directly communicate with domestic and international clients to craft customized in-house NGS service plans. The candidate will recommend project configurations that fit the clients’ budget and needs, and assist in experimental design and technical support. In addition to technical familiarity with NGS library preparation and data analysis, this position requires creative, flexible thinking in order to accurately provide solutions for a wide range of customer research needs. Experience working with sensitive, degraded, rare, and/or low-input DNA samples is highly desired (e.g. ancient, museum, pathogen, or FFPE DNA). A background in one or more of our customers’ common fields of expertise is also highly desired: plant or animal genetics, phylogenetics, evolutionary biology, disease research, etc. This position does not involve benchwork, though experience on the bench is an asset.
- PhD degree (or Masters + equivalent job experience) using NGS techniques
- Strong experience with NGS targeted sequencing experimental design and data analysis
- In-depth knowledge of major NGS platforms (Illumina®, Ion Torrent®, PacBio®, Oxford Nanopore®)
- Strong understanding of genomics/phylogenetics research priorities
- Familiarity with Linux OS, basic scripting, and command-line program usage
- Excellent written and verbal skills for client communication (email, phone, video-chat)
- Commitment to high standards of customer service and research quality
- Willingness to travel occasionally to professional meetings
- Enthusiasm for finding solutions for complex NGS / targeted sequencing issues
- Experience handling client/collaborator material for NGS (e.g. sequencing core management)
- Advanced working knowledge of command-line NGS data analysis
- Experience with NGS for challenging materials, such as degraded or low-input samples
References are required and will be contacted.
Arbor Biosciences is an equal opportunity employer
Job Type: Full-time
Experience: 3 years of Next-Gen Sequencing
Education: Master’s or higher
Required work authorization: United States
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume as a pdf document via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions and applications will not be discussed over the phone.